Friday, March 9, 2012

Pillowcase Dress

*****Update*****
Here is a more resent use of this project. She got a new Mardi Gras Dress for the Parade that she was in this year. Rather than being in one piece it did it in two sections. To finish it I embrodered the front. She was the cutest little kid there.



Today's spot of creativity turned out to be a flower dress for the mini-me. I bought a yard of this white and pink embroidered material that was on sale awhile back and decided today was the day to do something with it. So here is the how to details.

I started with two 20 by 22 inch pieces cut from the fabric. (I cut it to 20 inches and then cut done the fold already in the fabric from the store.) My niece has a measurement of about 21 inches around her stomach and she wears a 2T so you will need to adjust the size for your little one.

I just put the right sides of the fabric together and did the side seams stopping the seam about 7-8 inches from the top to make the arm holes with later.


Thought I would sneak in my little helper for the day. You can imagine how much help a 21 month old is.


To do the arm hole you need to fold them over twice at an angle.mine after the second fold are about the width of my finger.


You need to sew from the top of the fold (the widest part) to the bottom edge.

At this point you have the bottom hem left and the the top pocket for the ribbon to tie the dress. I put a 3/4 inch hem in the dress but that is always adjustable to fit the height of your little crazy.

To do the top pocket for the ribbon I folded the edge down slightly and then folded it down to fit over my ribbon. (Make sure to un-tread your ribbon before you sew it so you don't get the ribbon in the seam.

Well at this point you have a completed dress. I recommend you to a small stitch on the inside of the top pocket the holds the ribbon in the middle to make the ribbon stay in place instead of having to retread in all the time.



Well I hope this was help full. Sorry the picture of my little model isn't great it was far past nap time for this little one when I finished. If it wasn't clear send me a comment and I will try to clear up the questions.

Katie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment