Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Makeup Organization

As part of my current goal to finish my spring cleaning challenge the first thing I decided to tackle was my unruly makeup bin/bags. The really have gotten to a point where I am scared to dig through them anymore. And because of the unorganized mess I tend to just wear what is on the top and move on making my rather large collection of eye shadow options obsolete.

What you need:
  1. Big Picture Frame (got mine from the Goodwill Store for $6)
  2. Cute fabric (got a half yard so to have extra for my scrap quilt too $3)
  3. Piece of Sheet Metal. Lowe's carries this in the hardware department. I got a piece that was about $10 that was the right size on direction but not the other and used metal snips to cut it to size.
  4. Magnets (these are located in the craft section of Walmart for about $5)
  5. Hot Glue Gun (Glue Sticks!! Lots!!)

So the first step is to go through and throw out all of the stuff that is completely outdated or never ever going to be something you used. It is probably time to let go of the crazy colors of makeup you bought for Halloween 4 years ago say "oh I will use this again" and never have too.

Once you sift through it all and now no what is actually your current makeup collection the next step is to pick a large frame and some cute fabric to go with it.



Next hot glue the fabric to the sheet metal. Try to make sure you keep the fabric design straight if it is some that is symmetrical and will look odd at an unintentional angle..




You will what to make sure that there is not a lot of slack in the material too. If it has to much space it will effect the ability for the magnets to hold your makeup.










Next hot glue the covered fabric in to the frame. Take a minute after the glue has had a chance to cool to softly push around the edges and add glue where it is needed.











The final step is to attach magnets to the back of your containers and stick to your board. I used a pencil cup to make the brush holder and three magnets to hold it to the board.





















Happy Crafting 
Katie <3

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I've been looking for a better way to organize my makeup. Great for those of us who are visual (i.e., the outta-sight, outta-mind girls!)

    ReplyDelete